Wednesday, December 29, 2010

puffing away to glory

I have heard people taking oath to quit something but never heard of people taking oath to do something. I have never seen anyone taking oath but I have experienced firsthand – an oath taking ceremony.

I was forced to take an oath, an oath to quit smoking and drinking. I didn’t really know the significance of taking an oath… I still don’t. Yet I had to take the oath (sounds like I was forced. Those who witnessed might not have seen it as a forceful however; I was mentally and literally forced to take it.)

An oath taking ceremony was organized by the Young Buddhist Association. Not many youths came to the oath taking ceremony. It was mostly the elderly people. However all said and done, the ceremony went well.
A very observation though. I saw a father with his sons. He had four with him. What was amazing was that he was introducing them to Garab Rinpochhe and was actually forcing them to take the oath. Very young to argue with their dad, they quietly and very obediently took their oath.  

What I don’t understand is that why are they being forced to take the oath? There is a popular Bhutanese believe that if you break the oath, you will bleed and puke blood to death. If that is true, then does he want his sons to bleed to death, more so, want me to puke blood and die as I was also forced to take the oath?
I remember telling my mother that I don’t want to take the oath and there my mom goes, always being THE mom… “Don’t try to act so smart, be in the line,” she ordered and I embarrassed as many heard her order, stood in the line to take the oath.

As drew near Rinpochhe, I was scared and thought if i will be able to keep the promise not to smoke, drink and do drugs. Rinpochhe asked “which one do you want to quit?” I said “alcohol.” I was given the holy water but after a minute, he asked “do you smoke?” I was so scared, I said “No.” and then he said, the oath is for drinking and smoking then.

I was in shock. I didn’t know what to do. Wanted to throw the holy water but my mother was just behind me.  

A trick I did not realizing if it would work or not. I said to myself, “oath to stop alcohol for a month and oath to smoke smoking for an hour,” and I sipped the holy water.

Funny! An hour later, there I was again with a cigarette in between my fingers, puffing away to glory. 


After thinking real hard, i have finally decided to quit it... willingly... after new years...

6 comments:

  1. I liked the Rinpoche part in the piece. It seems Rinpoche saw your mind. I think you will be writing an article on the difficulties of quitting after new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i never thought about it.. but now that you have said it, i think its appropriate to write one..
    very soon..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its all about belief....
    and i agree with grossblog...Rinpoche seems to have understood what was in your mind...so now i think Rinpoche also knows the kind of oath you took...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha.. Rinpoche sure does. m glad he read what was on my mind. thanks for the comment sogyel. m sorry for the delayed reply:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice article! Self realization is the only way to correct things, not by forcing. So its good you realized that you really need to stop indulging in things that hamper your health. Thats wonderful.

    ReplyDelete